Friday, June 14, 2013

GvG: A Fresh Look at the Game

Good evening, Prandel!

Hope you are all doing well. I know that things are slowly getting better for me. I mean, look two posts in one week, brought to you once more by my lovely Kindle. That hasn't happened in a long time, sadly, but hopefully I will post more in these upcoming days.

Ok, so nothing too interesting to report personally. Gained a couple levels and got another thousand Dragon Hearts during the Monster Invasion event. I really enjoy that event, especially since every hit that you land equals another box in your inventory. I usually just go Lancer for it and just use Entrapment Piercing, and generally my inventory fills up faster than I can keep up. 

I know it is harder for people without Alacrity or Luck, especially those lame super avoid Chickens with their stupid AOE move. That's why I wish that if you were in a party, that the extra boxes you don't receive due to a full inventory would at least go to someone else who may need them. That way everyone benefits and no one misses out on the event merely because the enemies have crazy avoid.

With this magical GIF, I wish you all a lux box next event.

Today was also interesting because I got to experience my first GvG ever and it was against Fresh. I wish I had gotten a video of the GvG so you can see my constant dying, but, unfortunately, I did not have a recording program on my computer and was too engrossed in the battle to take screenshots. So if you happen to have a video, post a link or email me the video and I will love you forever and of course, credit you for helping me and being awesome.


Anyways, it was fun but I must say, I had no idea what to expect and I kind of came into the whole thing blind. Jigg was still at work but I was hoping he would come home in time to at least be in most of the GvG. 

So I brought along his Princess, figuring that I could just body hide. Unfortunately, the main PT that my Archer was a party of filled up before Jigg could join, so I thought that as long as I moved her away from the action (and I mean far away) no one would bother her, since she would be bubbling until her rightful owner came home from work.

I mean, maybe it's just me, but it seems kind of underhanded to attack a toon that is not only obviously not being played but is so far from the heat of battle to actually be seen as a threat. 

I guess I was wrong, though, and while playing my Archer, I saw Jigglypuff's name flash in the corner of my screen, stating that she had been killed. I felt bad, like I had basically given the other team 600 free points. I felt even worse for bringing her since Jigg didn't come home until about 5 minutes before the GvG ended, so it was just a waste of time to bring her and I handed the other team a free target to bash on for points.


But enough about his toon, let's talk about how mine did in her first ever GvG. First off, like I said before, I was most definitely not prepared. I had forgotten a couple gears and was in general, felt like I was trying to focus on a hundred things at once. Seriously, if it weren't for my Lancer's Sidestep and Dummies, I think I would have died twice as much as I did.

Also, with their Priest's Tower on, my knowledge moves were rendered almost useless, though our other lovely Knowledge Archer Saki did amazing and brought in most of our points. I think, though, for me at least, I would have been much better as a Power Archer/Lancer and maybe would have actually brought a couple people down. 

At the end it was funny. For some odd reason, the Necromancer on their team decided that I was their new target of interest and even though I couldn't kill them due to Tower, I thought it could be fun to see how far they would actually follow me from the main fight.

I don't know, maybe they thought I was a threat (as if haha) or maybe they just thought I was cute. Either way, I lead them pretty far from the battle and I have to say it was funny since all they were doing was lowering my accuracy (I think, though I'm not too well versed in Necro skills), so that was mildly entertaining for the ten seconds it lasted.

I feel that the Necro would not like me laughing.

(continue reading for BC's take on GvG and etiquette)

The last few minutes wasn't actually me but was actually Jigg, who took over while I showered, so if I magically seemed to be good at those last few minutes, now you know why. 

When I came back, though, it appears that some major trash talking occurred, people calling others cheaters and nabs and whatever else counts as a major insult in online gaming. I must say, this does frustrate me. I know that it may seem unfair, like one side has a greater advantage over the other, but just as it is in real life, the odds may not always be in your favor but that does not mean you should get angry. You just have to give it your best and be proud of what you did, even if you did not win. 

If you win, do not gloat, as even you have much to learn from battle. Don't think that one you are high level or have played for "X" amount of time that there is nothing left to learn. Always keep learning and improving yourself and you will, in turn, improve your character.

If you lose, do not get angry. Look at it as a learning experience. Even if you believe that the cards are stacked against, play with what you have and make sure it is a damn good play. Don't take your loss personally and merely take it in stride. Be proud that you fought and that you fought well and look at that as a success.

When all is said and done, brush the dust off and shake their hands. Don't spit hateful words or let your anger fester. Know that you did the best you could and feel proud of that. Learn from your mistakes and your successes and just try to do better next time.

Okay, enough with my talk about good sportsmanship. All and all, I had a good time. Sure, we may have lost by quite a large margin and I may have died more than I wished but I had fun, and that's what really matters, isn't it? You should go into these not with the attitude of "I must win no matter the cost" but just simply to have fun and learn what you can. Winning should be much further down the list of important things.

Anyways, that is all I have to report, so until next time, have fun, good luck, and happy hunting.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you enjoy GvG even when losing, not many people do that, most just blame someone/something else and never GvG again.

    Remember to always check if they have a necromancer in their party, bring lots of curse resistance (150%+) to counter necromancers.

    Always have a great positioning (dont stand in open fields waiting for people to kill you) and move around all the time, don't just go all in and think you'll kill 5 people cus' you wont. Find the easiest targets and try to focus them down.

    - Prii

    ReplyDelete